Thursday 20 September 2012

DIY HEX NUT BRACELET


I love making bracelets out of everyday objects. A year or so ago I made these Hex Nut bracelets (I made another with a beige string but couldn’t find it today to take a pic) and this zipper bracelet.


I was thinking about making some more Hex Nut jewellery so popped into the hardware store and picked up the smallest ones I could find – 3mm. I am not sure what other people use to make the actual bracelet, but I have found that venetian blind cord is the best. It does not fray or soften, and you can melt the ends with a flame to keep it tidy. I used the smallest width I could find of 1.5mm.


I decided that instead of plaiting them on like last time, they would look really striking stacked. To keep the band delicate, I knotted 15 at a time onto a single strand of cord. I wanted to have two rows that sat together, slightly staggered, so decided instead of making two bracelets I would place two rows of stacked nuts on the same strand. I finished it off with a loop on one end, and tied another Hex Nut onto the other end to secure it.

I won't bore you with the step-by-step pics (because it is very basic) but basically you cut a 50cm or so length or cord and tie your first knot about 12cm in. Stack on the nuts and knot off.

You then need to wrap it around your wrist to see where you want the next stack to start, and put a knot there. Stack on another 15 nuts, and knot off.

To finish, I tied a hex nut on one end, and then made a loop that would be big enough to thread it through (without the nut falling out). I then trimmed and melted the ends of the cord with a lighter to keep it neat.


I’m really happy with the result, they sparkle and reflect light as they move around. I will definitely be making more of these!
  

Mx

2 comments:

  1. LOVE my friend. You need to start an Etsy shop x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks G! I was thinking that I could try and sell them to a few local stores if I could get my act together!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on NOVEMBER PEONIES. I love hearing your thoughts :)